Clobetasol Propionate cream is used in the treatment of several skin disorders. A perfect skin is what every one of us wants but due you some unfortunate reasons the skin also get certain disorders an diseases that make our skin all itchy and irritating and it can also be painful sometimes and not only that some of the diseases also leave their marks behind after or during the time of the disease if you don’t treat it on time or don’t pay attention to it.
The health condition of any kind needs proper medical attention towards it but the skin condition is like the most important that needs the instant medical aid because skin problems are something that you can notice right away. Topical creams and ointments are usually the types of medications given to the patients that are suffering from skin problems because of medication at the side of the disease effects well and better.
So, when it comes to the skin issues it is very often that doctor recommend a systemic medicine otherwise they stick to the topical ones. Using topical medications is better because they are less harmful and only harm they can cause is that the patient might be allergic to a certain drug in the formulation.
While talking about the topical medications Clobetasol propionate cream is one of the medications that come in the use a lot and you must identify it right away if you have had any of the skin diseases.
Clobetasol Propionate is a drug that is a corticosteroid and among that, it belongs to the class of glucocorticoid. A glucocorticoid is a class of the corticosteroid hormones that binds directly to the glucocorticoid receptors. Most of the agents from this class are used as topical medicines for the treatment of various skin conditions.
Clobetasol Propionate is a drug that is available in various topical medication forms like in the form of a lotion, shampoos, ointments, creams, solutions, and even gels. This medicine is available under different brand names Topifort, Clobeta plus, topical and Temovate.
These are only a few of the brand names but there are a lot more of the brand names that you can find this medicine under the name of all the brand names mentioned above it is pretty clear just by the name that the drug is used topically.
Mechanism of action of Clobetasol Propionate cream
The mechanism of action of Clobetasol Propionate cream is very simple. As we know that Clobetasol acts on the glucocorticoid receptor and as a result the glucocorticoid-mediated gene expression gets active. This gene expression then plays a role in the formation or production of anti-inflammatory proteins.
By the name, it is pretty obvious what these proteins do but to understand in detail these proteins actually stops the production of inflammatory mediator and this, as a result, inhibit the inflammation.
Use of Clobetasol propionate cream
Clobetasol propionate is used in a number of skin conditions and disorders and following are some of them with the explanation that what these conditions or diseases are
- Psoriasis: It is an autoimmune disease in which the patches are formed on the skin that is dry, itchy and even scaly and this disease can be treated with the use of Clobetasol Propionate cream
- Dermatitis: Dermatitis is basically the infection of the skin and in this condition, the skin gets inflamed and along with swelling there is itchiness, rashes etc. on the skin. The infection can be of any type.
- Rash: Rash is the redness and swelling in the area and the skin area in a rash is very tender and this cause extensive burning too. The rash can occur due to a number of reasons and can be treated easily with the Clobetasol Propionate cream.
- Allergies: Clobetasol propionate can also help with the inflammation that may occur due to allergies. Different type of allergies present with a different type of symptoms but this medication can resolve almost all of them.
SO these are some of the conditions of the skin that can be easily resolved by the Clobetasol Propionate cream.
Warnings related to the use of Clobetasol propionate cream
With medications there are always some warnings and when it comes to the skin there are medications that can worsen the skin condition so to select a medication for your skin condition is a tricky situation and you must leave that for your doctor. But the following are some of the warnings related to the use of the Clobetasol propionate cream
- Since this drug is really potent so you cannot use this medication on an open wound or with an occlusive dressing.
- You can only apply this drug to the affected area and make sure that while applying it doesn’t cover the large area of your skin that isn’t affected.
- Using this drug for the time that your doctor recommended is what you shall do and not use it for a longer duration
- Patients with some liver problem or already taking some other steroids must inform their doctors so if it seems appropriate doctor will recommend the medication only then.
- Also if you feel like with the use of this medication the skin condition is getting worse then you must remove the medication immediately and must seek medical help if it doesn’t stop even after wiping it off.
This warning implies on all the users of this medication and if used with care this medication will be no harm for you.
Side Effects of Clobetasol Propionate Cream
Even though with topical medication the side effects are very less but still following are some of the side effects that may appear with the use of Clobetasol Propionate Cream
- Adrenal Insufficiency (Low BP, fainting, dizziness, lethargy)
- Cushing’s syndrome (increased blood glucose levels, frequent urination, intensified hunger)
Adrenal Insufficiency and the Cushing’s syndrome are the serious side effects of this drug that needs the medical help right away. But if any of the above mentioned side effects appear you must stop the use of Clobetasol Propionate Cream and must contact your doctor or a pharmacist.