To find in detail about the Atorvastatin vs Simvastatin, we should know how obesity is the increasing concern of today’s world. The more we ignore our diets the more we are moving towards obesity. And it is due to obesity that people have to suffer from the increased cholesterol levels that leads to certain medical conditions and some of them are very serious.
The reason behind the increased cholesterol level in today’s generation is that they prefer the greasy and junk food that is the leading cause of most of the medical conditions and the disorders that have been originated. Another reason behind these increased cholesterol level among people is the lack of physical activity.
Everything that was done manually in the past has been taken over by the machines and technology and we don’t have to move even a little and this is why there is no physical activity as compared to that past and another reason is the busy schedule of everyone in which they don’t get that much time from the physical activity.
Many drugs like atorvastatin and simvastatin are used to control the cholesterol level in the human body but before we go into the detailed discussion of atorvastatin vs simvastatin we must know what can be the complications resulting from the increased cholesterol level and why do we need these medications.
Increased cholesterol levels can be responsible for a lot of conditions like the formation of plaque in the blood vessels and heart conditions like angina or even heart attack in some cases. Carotid artery disease, peripheral arterial disease, and stroke are some other things that can result from the high cholesterol level.
Statins: Atorvastatin vs Simvastatin
The main difference between Atorvastatin and Simvastatin the the cost and the Standard dosage.
Before doing the more detailed Atorvastatin vs Simvastatin comparison we will know in detail what the statins are. Statins are the group of generic drugs that are used to control the cholesterol levels in the body. They are all the drugs that can be used when the person is facing the increased cholesterol levels. They act in such a way in the body to lower the cholesterol level is by inhibiting the enzyme in the liver that is responsible for the production of the cholesterol.
The enzyme that is inhibited in this process is the HMG CoA. So if you want to avoid the further complications that can arise with the increased cholesterol level you should consider the statins. These statins can help you with following things according to the American College of Cardiology.
- Help with the cholesterol accumulated in the blood vessels.
- Help you with diabetes and the LDL is between 70 to 189 mg/dl (40-50 years)
atorvastatin and simvastatin are examples of the statins but there is a little difference between the two of them.
Atorvastatin and simvastatin (Lipitor vs Zocor)
Simvastatin is the drug of statins class that goes under the brand name Zocor and the atorvastatin is another drug from the class of statins and it undergoes by the name of the Lipitor. Lipitor vs, Zocor comparison will help us understand which drug among them is the best choice for you.
All of these drugs even though have the same mechanism of action but still, they differ in some other effects that are produced in the body because of them and that is why this Atorvastatin vs Simvastatin comparison is being done so you can realize which of the drug better for you according to your medical condition. What these drugs could differ into can be the side effects, interactions, and some other pharmacokinetic parameters.
Atorvastatin vs Simvastatin
Now coming towards the Atorvastatin vs Simvastatin comparison we can determine it easily by considering the things they have the difference between in. Following are some of the features of the atorvastatin and simvastatin that helps with the Lipitor versus Zocor comparison.
Side effects of Atorvastatin vs Simvastatin
First coming towards the side effects of these drugs that help them differentiate the most are mentioned here and following are some of them.
- Muscle pain is the side effect of both of these drugs but still, simvastatin is more likely to cause the muscular pain. Muscle fatigue and pull can also occur along with the muscle pain. In case of any muscular pain like this inform your doctor and also avoid taking simvastatin when you already have the muscular pain.
- Liver and kidney are the few of the major organs in the body and any drug that is likely to cause damage to them must be avoided especially when you already have dysfunction in them. Atorvastatin is recommended when you have some kidney problem and simvastatin is avoided.
- In Atorvastatin vs Simvastatin comparison, the atorvastatin has a higher risk of causing the stroke or haemorrhage.
- Both of these drugs are likely to cause the increase in the blood glucose levels and this situation should be kept in mind because all the statins have the same effect.
- Both of these drugs also act the same when it comes to diarrhoea and both of them have the potential to upset your stomach and cause you diarrhoea.
- Fatigue is the result of all the statins but in Atorvastatin vs Simvastatin comparison, the simvastatin has more effect leading to fatigue.
Interactions of Atorvastatin vs Simvastatin with other drugs
In the further comparison of the Atorvastatin vs Simvastatin comparison, we must know that what type of interactions is possible with both of these drugs so you know what to avoid while taking these medications or if you need switching or not. Interactions can be of different types like food interactions, drug interactions etc. grapefruit juice, if consumed in the excessive amounts with statins, can be a problem because they prevent the metabolism of the few of the statins.
Atorvastatin vs Simvastatin Cost
The cost difference is another factor that can help with the Atorvastatin vs Simvastatin comparison. Lipitor that is available in 10, 20,40 and 80 mg while the Zocor is present in the 5, 20, 20, 40, 80 mg dosages. Zocor costs almost $25 to $40 per month while on the other hand Lipitor cost $5 to $10 per month. This shows that in the Lipitor vs Zocor cost comparison Zocor is preferable because it costs less.